Thursday, July 8, 2010

Teenagers Bug The Living Shit Outta Me

(And yes, this blog post's title is a reference to My Chemical Romance)

I've been working summer school for about 3 summers now, and this is my second summer as a paraprofessional. Basically what that means is that I fill in for teachers when they're not here - like this week, when one is at a conference - and I make sure that people are working and that the tech they're using is as well.

So as I've been in for the English teacher this week, I've had to not only grade and keep everyone sort of quiet (whether they work or not is their choice, not, my issue - as long as they don't bug me or others, I'm okay with whatever they choose to do), but also take attendance. I don't know the kids personally, and I only know a few of their names because a few are repeat offenders of summer school. So I've been taking attendance by going around the room and getting peoples' names.

Unfortunately for me and their attendance records, they've been telling me the wrong names to mess with me. I thought this kid Malcolm was this other kid Ahmad this whole time. And the boys in the corner? Forget it. They've been giving me each others' names as well.

Now call me crazy, but if I'm being forced by my parents and my school to go to summer school because I slacked off during the year, I want to get credit for getting my ass out of bed at 6 AM over what should be my summer vacation. I want to make sure that even if I'm not working, even if I'm screwing around on video games (like most of the kids here seem to d0), that I'm marked down present so my mom doesn't get called and I get whooped.

Ugh. Teenagers. Can't believe I was one.

No comments:

Post a Comment