Sunday, January 16, 2011

Facebook Is a Self-Esteem Killer

I, like most red-blooded college students, check Facebook once a day.

Actually, that's not true, most college students check Facebook more than once a day. But I digress.

But there's a ton of tailored ads to me on the side of the screen, and while some of them are relevant (like the ones asking me to sell my books back to Belltower, or that House or Mad Men's new seasons are on sale on Amazon.com), some of them are really irrelevant. I constantly get the ads to start gaming online, which I refuse to do after losing several friends to WoW and other games. Some of them are for online radio or giveaways or what have you.

But..."Catholic Wife Wanted"? Vhat?! "Meet Catholic men who are serious about faith, marriage and family life. Take a step of Faith you could meet him today!" ?

Okay, first of all, how about some punctuation between "faith" and "you"? I know that's grammar nazi of me (whoa, two posts in a row involving Nazis), but I'm an aspiring journalist. If I'm going to date another Catholic, he should know when a comma is necessary. If that's close minded, so be it.

Furthermore, I don't want to be someone's Catholic wife! That's sort of demeaning, if you think about it. I don't want to be characterized by just being "Catholic" and a "wife." Plus, I'm 21. I don't really want to be a wife for quite some time.

No comments:

Post a Comment