Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Do You Strongly Dislike, Somewhat Dislike, or Just Want To Hang Up?

I pity telemarketers.

From journalism class, I know that they commonly call during dinner hours because they know that's when people are home to answer their questions or take their surveys. I know that my age demographic is tough to get to because we're rarely home at the time they call, and we're better with cell phones than we are with landlines. I also know that they have a very low chance of success because people hang up on them or yell at them before slamming the phone back down on the cradle.

So when one called last night asking me specifically about the proposed national health care plan, I took pity on them and decided to go through with the survey. And damn was it long.

Because at the end of the day, they do need my age group in statistics. And I really feel horrible for the people stuck with a telemarketer job because it must just be a self-esteem killer, having people curse you out and slam the phone down in attempt to never talk to you. I want to know how many people take the time to answer the questions they ask, even if your dad is yelling at you that it's dinner time. I know Mom does because she feels bad too.

No comments:

Post a Comment