Wednesday, June 24, 2009

DSC, Please Hold

Today started my second foray into summer school administration/teaching, and I gotta say, it was rocky.

This year rather than being coordinator assistant in a middle school, I'm an Ed Options supervisor/teacher/person in a high school program. So that was my first clue to get out of the middle school meeting halfway through (although it was nice to see 3 of my previous teachers from middle and high school wondering why I was there. I accidentally insulted one, I think, by saying I was way too young to teach...).

Anyway, the whole program I'm working on is online. Which is cool. The bad news is, the server for the school (and the district at large) tends to crash the day before it's needed by everyone involved with the summer school. Especially us, whose whole program is on the Internet. And us, who need to get logged in before we can do/grade anything.

A bigger problem here is with DSC, or Data Service Center. In addition to being the people who take care of all the grades, report cards, and attendance records, they're also the people who need to log you into the system before you can get paid. Which...it says I'm logged into, but I don't remember ever getting a user name or password. I did last year, but I don't remember the password or how the hell my old supervisor misspelled my name (something like Alexandria Polumbo). So I can't get paid my $13 an hour.

I finally got it all worked out with my name spelled correctly and my password securely in place, but it still meant I had to listen to a video game version of "Let it Be" for 20 minutes. Oy.

No comments:

Post a Comment