Wednesday, July 8, 2009

30 Rock or House? Oh, and When Do You Shave?

I got the weirdest telemarketer survey yesterday afternoon.

So I was sitting around cataloguing my music (I made it to about John Mayer in the 13+ GB of my iTunes library. Which is progress for me) and trying to avoid watching the Michael Jackson Memorial by catching up on my Conan on Hulu when the phone rings out of nowhere.

I was a little perturbed already because our cordless phones interrupt the wireless internet signal, and the Tonight Show froze about halway through Max Weinberg's drum solo. But since I know telemarketing must suck as a job.

The guy that talked to me said that he wasn't selling anything (fine) and that he was looking for women in my age demographic, about 16 to 35 I believe. Which makes sense, we're a huge buying market and ordinarily harder to reach because we aren't home around dinner and prefer cell phones to landlines (thanks, J Research!).

The part that got my attention was "These questions may seem a little personal to you, but I assure you, the answers will be kept completely confidential." Um...what?

He then asked me how many times a week I shave my legs, underarms, or any other part of my body. Fair enough, I admit that I shave. And I didn't mind sharing that information with someone who would keep it confidential.

He then asked me how many sitcoms and dramas I ask a week.

Now looking back on this, I realize that they're trying to figure out where to place ads for hair removal products like Nair and razors and all the Schick trimmers to mow your lawn, as the controversial commercial espouses.

But if I was going to give the telemarketer any advice on his delivery, I would find some sort of segue between the two. It's a little odd to be asked how hairy your legs are and then if you watch more Big Bang Theory than CSI, you know?

No comments:

Post a Comment