Thursday, July 16, 2009

Even The Middle Eastern Media Hates the PA

Appparently the PA isn't a fan of Al Jazeera either.

The satellite news channel was shut down by the Palestinian Authority because the broadcasts were too "unbalanced" against their party. I'm not going to recap the whole incident, rather I'm sending you over to the BBC for the facts.

I will say this though: it's a total shame and offensive against the free press. Al Jazeera is trying to provide a service of non-state sanctioned media (well, sort of, the company is funded by the Emir of Qatar, but it operates out of government oversight from Doha, London, Kuala Lumpur, and Washington DC). And for a station to be shut down because it's saying something you don't like is sort of ridiculous. I can't stand FOX News, but I wouldn't shut the channel down.

No comments:

Post a Comment