Friday, July 10, 2009

The Bridge-Tunnel of Love

I mentioned a few posts ago that I was talking about making a road trip playlist with Corinne (and probably Dad, because he'll be in our car at least until we get through Baltimore. Hi, Katharina!) and I was wondering how long we would have to have music for.

So out of curiousity, I Google Map'd (that's a verb now) how long it would take and what the general route would look like. The estimated time is about 6 hours and 48 minutes (without the rush hour traffic we will for sure hit around the DC area). But the directions are the part that got me excited:
17. Take the ramp onto US-13 S/US-50 E
Continue to follow US-13
S
Entering Virginia
38.5 mi
18. Continue on Lankford Hwy
Partial toll road
69.3 mi
19. Continue on Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel/US-13
Continue
to follow US-13
Partial toll road

!!!!

The Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel is only the most awesome bridge tunnel (perhaps the only bridge tunnel?) ever! It goes on for freaking EVER and goes straight across the bay as you watch boats go over top of you. The only time I ever got to use it was on the band trip to South Carolina and I remember two things:

1) Kathryn fooling Megan into thinking there were dolphins sunning themselves on the rocks.
2) Hannah Mo, yelling from the back of the bus, "That's right, two tunnels! Lungs of STEEL!"

I'm so psyched for this. I will stay on driving just for this part.

No comments:

Post a Comment