Friday, July 10, 2009

Um...No Gracias

Ugh, as if Venezuela needs any more trouble.

Mickey Mouse here (whoever got this picture, thanks a bunch!) has decided to impose more restrictions on the Venezuelan media by making cable and satellite channels carry more speeches by Hugo Chavez on a regular basis, a so-called "democratizing the airwaves" idea.

Now, I'm all for watching political speeches. I try to catch them when Obama makes them here, and I tried to catch Bush and Clinton before him (to make fun of them with Dad).

But I don't think that a cable network should be forced to carry the presidential speeches. I think that they're certainly important and that the people around the country should have access to them, so they know what the hell is going on with their country.

But I don't think that a network should be forced to broadcast it. I mean, imagine if every channel was forced to carry State of the Unions rather than just the big 4 (ABC, CBS, NBC, and FOX). It would be like when the 9/11 footage was on every waking moment on every channel except Disney. And really, I don't want my State of the Union speeches on every channel.

Although it would be an improvement on the VH1 programming schedule, I'll give you that.

No comments:

Post a Comment